The Nash Summerhouse
In 1817-18 John Nash (1752-1835) was called in to redesign the garden. He enlarged the enclosure, added curving walks and a shrubbery around the perimeter, and also produced plans and an estimate (£300) for a garden seat (the summerhouse), to be presented by the Duke of Northumberland.
The classical summerhouse (listed grade II) is situated to the south of the site and faces north. The southern gate was moved a few metres to the east in order that the summerhouse could be placed centrally with its blank back against the southern railings. The building has two pairs of Ionic columns supporting a plain entablature and contains a single bench seat.
The Trust renovated the summerhouse in 2010. In 2012, at the request of the St James's Conservation Trust and with the generous support of The Rose Foundation, the Trust agreed to the placement inside of the following plaque commemorating John Nash.